Since 1928, James River Bus Lines has been a national leader in transportation. Serving a diverse client base, the firm’s rich history sprang from modest beginnings in rural Virginia where its only bus would bring passengers to Richmond for daily shopping. Today, the firm is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and features a fleet of more than 80 vehicles of all kinds.
Notably, we’re adept at working with organizations of all types, including corporate, military, schools and colleges, wedding parties, religious congregations, hospitals, and government. James River Transportation has the resources and experience to meet every transportation requirement.
Our dedication to unparalleled safety and customer service has remained unchanged through the years. It’s the reason we are continually ranked among the top 50 transportation firms in the United States, and consistently rated “Outstanding” by the Department of Defense.
We will WOW our customers through our continued passion to provide superior transportation services by demonstrating our core values with dedicated team members, and utilizing innovative strategies and technology.
We employ the right people and train them to deliver exceptional service. In fact, in a move unique to the industry, we employ a corporate training manager to ensure the best possible service. We use our statistical models to monitor traffic incidents, mechanical failures and customer service issues to verify that our passengers have a great experience.
Safety is always taken seriously. Thorough training, retraining and a state-of-the-art driving simulator, enable us to ensure driver safety. In addition, we use rigorous screening techniques, including drug/alcohol screening, criminal background check, personality testing, and medical review. Safety is not limited to the highway; we also utilize extensive safety systems for our maintenance and office environments.
Our maintenance facility and procedures are state of the art and 99.5% of our trips are completed without any mechanical problems. This performance ranks us as the “best of the best” in North America. In addition, we have developed an impressive support network utilizing our International Motorcoach Group partners and Greyhound to ensure quick responses to any situations that occur on longer trips.
We value honesty and integrity above all else and all of our employees must adhere to the highest standards. We will go to great lengths to retrain people who may be lacking a specific job skill, and give second chances to employees who make mistakes. However, we do not tolerate dishonesty and will dismiss employees who are dishonest with us or our customers.
We view our customers as partners and focus on building long-term relationships. Whenever we are involved in planning the transportation services along with the customer we routinely suggest cost saving ideas that can be implemented without hurting customer service. Internally, we foster excellent working relationships between our different locations and departments through a variety of company events. Each year, we typically go to ballgames, go cart tracks, and holiday dinners. We also participate in holiday parades and other community service events.
More than 90 years ago, William W. Briesmaster started a bus line from rural Virginia to Richmond. The route closely followed the path of the historic James River through central Virginia. Consequently, his bus line came to be known as The James River Route.
Today, James River Transportation employs more than 200 people and is one of the most respected transportation companies in the nation.
And yet, it is still family owned and remains doggedly true to its values.
It’s long history and quality reputation has allowed James River to be a part of many historical events:
- As a major transportation supplier for America’s armed forces, we assisted in all major military events including World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and various Peace Keeping missions.
- James River has participated in every Worlds Fair and Olympics in North America.
- Because of its proximity to Washington DC, James River has provided a “voice” to thousands of citizens visiting DC, including providing transportation to the 1963 March on Washington for Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech (and many, many marches since).
- James River has provided transportation for all Gubernatorial and Presidential Inaugurations for decades.
- James River provided transportation for the Queen of England’s visit to Virginia and the Jamestown 400 Year Celebration.
- James River holds the record of managing 2000 guests safely and orderly departing the convention center in 15 minutes.
- James River has provided transportation for extras and crew as well as vehicles for “props” for many productions including Gardens of Stone, A Girl Named Jackie, Lincoln, The Jackal, Dave, Forces of Nature and Homeland TV series.